Re: kernel-smp rpm as a dependency?

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Stephen Malowany wrote:

> During a redhat 7.2 kickstart install, how does one ensure that both
> the kernel and kernel-smp rpms get installed prior to a given rpm?
>
> In my case, I am installing an e1000 rpm which has a dependency
> on kernel (but not kernel-smp), so I observe the following
> order of installation:
>
> kernel
> e1000
> kernel-smp
>
> If e1000 gets installed before kernel-smp, the driver doesn't get
> installed correctly into kernel-smp (because of the extra magic
> being done by the e1000 postinstall script).
>
> I want my install to work on both UP and SMP machines, so I don't
> think adding kernel-smp as a dependency to the e1000 rpm is the
> right thing to do.
>
> Any way to do this?

You should have a separate e1000 rpm for kernel and kernel-smp packages,
a module built for up kernel wont work anyway in smp kernel (and vice
versa) and then add dependency for the relevant kernel.

Note that if you have just "Requires: kernel" in e1000 that'll actually be
satisfied by either kernel or kernel-smp.. (because of "Provides: kernel =
%{version}" in all RH kernels) to have any real control over
the dependency you'll need to make it a file dependency, eg
"Requires: /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-20.7" for up kernel and
"Requires: /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-20.7smp" for smp kernel.

	- Panu -