Re: Kickstart config automation

I had a similar problem over here...basically what I did was coded up a web-based kickstart interface in PHP. It asks a few questions about the hard drive configuration on the machine, machine hostname, ip address, etc. etc. then generates a custom ks.cfg file which can either be retrieved over the web (kickstart with linux ks=http://location/of/ks.cfg) or copied onto a floppy.

The same could easily be done in Perl or just about any other langugage...

-vahram

Nick White wrote:

I have a variety of user types, hardware types, and RedHat distributions that I'm responsible for and I need to add some more automation into my Kickstarts to make them "smarter" and to perhaps enable users to load there own machines.  I currently point to one of several kickstart configuration files on an NFS server, but maintaining many kickstart files is getting troublesome.

For example, if I need to start including a new package in new installs, I have to edit all of the kickstart files and add the package to the %package section.  I tried using an %include statement and point to files that contained my base package lists, but I didn't get it right.  Anaconda couldn't see the files I was referencing.  I tried mounting the remote filesystems in the %pre section, but it still didn't see them.  Anyway, that's just a example of how stupidly I'm doing things now.

I was intrigued by the idea that was brought up recently about using a CGI script to determine options.  How would you run the CGI?  Would you just do an HTTP GET from the %pre section and put the output in /tmp, then %include it?  How would you pass parameters to the CGI (could you pass them in at the "boot" prompt)?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Nick White

Systems Engineer