Re: Doea clearpart --linux also clear VFAT partitions?

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 00:54, Brian Long wrote:
> Only drives recently from the factory need --initlabel.  Just use
> clearpart --linux without --initlabel and it will wax your linux
> partitions and keep VFAT intact.

OK, that solved one part of the problem. It works the way you said.
ISO installation images are used from the local VFAT disk, and after
installation local data is restored from the local VFAT disk as well.
Wondeful.

Personally, I think it is a little bit strange - anaconda should only
use the --initlabel option when it would ask the installing user whether
it is OK to initialize the disk, not in general. But if I complain too
loadly, I will just be asked to file a bug report and prepare a patch,
so I'll just zip it.

In both cases when --initlabel is needed (either after installing a
factory-new disk or after wiping a disk with DataEraser or similar
tools), a sysadmin is probably at the station anyway, so it will be
acceptable to answer anaconda's question about initializing a hard disk
with human intervention.

However, now that anaconda thankfully does not format my VFAT partition
anymore, the other problem still persists: it complains about an
incorrect partition. Here human intervention is needed to tell anaconda
to ignore it, but it is not acceptable in this case as I am setting up
the whole thing to perform remote installations of running servers. So
it must be completely automatic.

The warning message from anaconda reads:
-quote-
Unable to align partition properly. This probably means another
partitioning tool generated an incorrect partition table, because it did
not have the correct BIOS geometry. It is safe to ignore, but ignoring
may cause (fixable) problems with some bootloaders.
-unquote-

I have extended my script from the original posting to:
# clear partition tables
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdb count=20
# create single VFAT partition spanning whole disk
/sbin/sfdisk /dev/hdb << EOF
,,b,*
;
;
;
EOF
# do something DOSsy to first partition
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdb1 bs=512 count=20
# format partition to VFAT32
/sbin/mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/hdb1

But it still does not work. Everything beyond that in the man pages goes
beyond my comprehension.

So can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong to create a single VFAT 32
partition spanning the whole hard drive?

--
Sincerely,

K.K. Alice
S. Christians