Re: Couple of issues I need help with..

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Zate wrote:

> > One other possibility is to use the pxe package in combination with mtftp
> > and tftp. This gets you around the problems associated with not having
> > control over the dhcp server. Getting it configured to work properly
> > can sometimes be painful though.
>
> Any documentation on this stuff ?

The only documentation I am aware of comes with the pxe package. I can tell
you for sure it is not 100% correct. I once set it up as an experiment. I got
it to work but it took some tinkering.

> How does it differ from using a DHCP server?

If you have control over the DHCP server that is the better way to go. Using
dhcp is much easier to configure and get working. I would only suggest the
pxe package if you do not have control of the dhcp server. In fact pxe has
been dropped from FC1 but is still included in RHEL 3.

HTH,