Comps.xml - mandatory vs default

Hello,

I am using RH 9.0.  I am trying to trim down the packages that get
installed for security reasons.  I am a bit confused by the comps.xml file
& the difference between mandatory and default?.

>From the RH 9.0 docs:
"In the package list, the packages marked as mandatory are always installed
if the group is selected, the packages marked default are selected by
default if the group is selected"

What does that mean?  If I call that out a group like Development Tools in
my ks.cfg, all default and mandatory packages get installed.  Can I use the
"-" to not install a package that is either mandatory or default?  Does the
dash care about dependencies if I have a  %packages --resolvedeps?

Thanks!