Re: new release? Not Happy at all

It gets worse than that.

Many of my clients are semiconductor startups which use a lot of
design tools (think Mentor, Cadence, etc).  Over the last six months
I've been pidgeonholling techs as they come by, asking what the plan
was for tools which required a particular version of RedHat was.

Some tools are extremely version specific -- you absolutely must run
them on RedHat x.y, and if you call looking for (the very expensive
annual) support, and you answer the "what rev of RedHat are you
running this on?" question incorrectly, you get a "sorry that's not a
supported platform we cannot help you [click]" response.

So we have customers who will be caught in between the platform
vendor (RedHat) which is going to stop supporting releases (doesn't
everything older than 9 stop getting supported January 1?) and a
tools vendor which is insisting on a now unsupported OS.

In the case of at least one major vendor (I'm not sure I can say who)
the answer to the question is going to be to transition to RHE/ES.
This boosts the cost of running the tool by, what, US$300? -- per CPU.

I'm sure this is in RedHat's best interest as a business... but I suspect
it will have a long-term negative impact on RedHat's position as the
de-facto Linux community 'standard' release.  Especially if Fedora
diverges significantly from RHE.