Re: Ejecting CDROM in %POST?

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 11:02:21AM +0200, Martin Newiger wrote:
> Hi,
> do you make only fresh installs or upgrade-installs as well? In case you
> make only fresh installs, the boot order in BIOS must be something like:
> 1) rem. device
> 2) HD
> 3) CD/DVD
> If there is no system on the HD, the install system will be started from
> CD. After install and reboot the freshly installed system will be
> started from HD.
we re-kickstart some machines frequently.  Also we want the ability to
re-kickstart the machine remotely (to make sure we have a clean machine
to work from).

With a lot of our servers (DNS/Mail being prime examples) we have all of the
config tweaks done in %post (using generated KS config files).  so we
can kickstart the boxes pretty much at one time and after install they come up
and are put right into service.

So to answer your direct initial question, I guess the former (frsh only). But
on a given physical machine we will do many "fresh installs" (aka nuke the machine
and lay down a clean OS) over its lifetime.

We really like the ability to know exactly how a machine is set up and that we
can reproduce its setup (both for making anyother machine in a cluster and
for backup/restore purposes).

Best Regards,
Steve