More adding network driver to custom cd

Thanks for all the responses to my original question!

I am still having some issues. Let me explain my situation a bit better this time. I need to make a cd which installs a modified (some of my own rpms get installed) redhat linux 8.0 on a server with no interaction from the user (server has no keyboard,mouse or monitor). This did work fine when Dell shipped there 1u series servers with Intel network cards, now they ship them with Broadcom networks cards.

So when I first tried my install on the new server eth0 was not up when I loggedin, so I tried to bring it up with ifconfig eth0 up, got a no such device error. I went to the web found the bcm5700 driver and installed it (bcm5700.o) installed the module using insmod and brought the interface up with no problems.

I figured I would create a new rpm which contains the bcm5700.o and the new pcitable and pci.ids so the /etc/modules.conf file would be correct after the first boot, and it was.  The problem at this point was that eth0 was still not up and not configured (no ifcfg-eth0 in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directory). But the module was loaded and I could go in and bring it up, so my rpm did something.

Looking into anaconda I saw that it checks the network with a function that looks at /proc/net/dev file, if it doesn't find anything it skips the network config all together. So that brought me to my current issue. I thought if I added the bcm5700.o driver to the isolinux/initrd.img (and updated the module files) the module would be loaded and anaconda would see it and setup the network.

Well this did not work, looking into it a bit more I saw some stuff on stage2.img, this seems to have many more of the drivers and such. So it seems that I need to modify that instead of the initrd.img, is this correct?

Can anyone give me some info on the redhat boot process, specifically the files in the i386/base directory including stage2.img

Thanks so much!!

        Glenn MacGregor