Solved: Minimizing kickstart CD

Thanx for giving me hepl on this one, but I've came up
with a solution that seems to work rather good.

To make the installation CD as small as possible
- without having to tamper with a proxy server -
I initiated a standard installation and simply removed
everything. Since RH9 implicitly adds the base packages
the installation  succeeded annyway.

I then copied over the "/root/install.log" and the "/root/anaconda-ks.cfg"
to a floppy. Using the install.log file, I removed - manually - all
packages that were on the CD#1 of RedHat 9 but didn't appear in the
"install.log". That left me with approx 100 rpms and took about
270MB space including the base.

>From there a run "genhdlist" (with some parameters) copied back
the "anaconda-ks.cfg" to my isolinux root directory,
created the isoimage with "mkisofs" and burned the CD.

This was both simple and worked perfectly with a minimum of
effort....

I can summarize my learnings about creating kickstart CD on redhat
as following:

1. Create or reuse a anaconda-ks.cfg
1.b. make sure the rpms are present in the RedHat/RPMS dir.
2. generate a new "hdlist" file with "genhdlist".
3. copy the "anaconda-ks.cfg" into the root directory to the iso-diri (ks.cfg).
4. make the iso with mkisofs
5. burn the CD.
6. boot the CD with "linux ks=cdrom:./ks.cfg

ta da!

/Erik Lonroth
5.