Re: RH 9.0 Kickstart Network Issues

Jason Kohles wrote:
On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 09:44:47AM -0400, Lance Rochelle wrote:

We actually have the same type of issue, but it may not be related to
kickstart.  The problem we are having is that when the machine is forced
to 100mb full duplex and the switch (especially Cisco, and Foundry) are
set to autonegotiate, they never seem to negotiate properly.  The fix that
we did was to force the swtich the 100fdx and force it on the card as
well.

This is the nature of auto-negotiation, if you force it you have to force
it at both ends, otherwise the end attempting to negotiate will just fall
back to whatever it's default is, usually 10/half.

Definitely auto-negotiation. I'm having the same issue here with a Dell PowerConnect switch of ours, that I restart certain network services a couple minutes after any reboot because the box comes up before the port on the switch does. I'm pursuing a correction on the switch, of course.

The 3c509 cards are GOLDEN. Don't ever throw them away. Ship them to me if you have to! I purposefully put those cards in low-end boxes and test servers as often as I can because they are just so bulletproof. They come up without declaring IO and IRQ options in modules.conf, and they run clean whether I set them for FD or HD operation. I love 'em!

-j