Re: Fake Press Release: RH 10 to Ship with Version Magick(tm)!

John McKowen Taylor, Jr. wrote:
RedHat Software (Raleigh, NC) today announced that its upcoming release 10 will ship with new Version Magick(tm) version revision tool.

According to a company spokesman, "Users will be able to use the Version Magick version revision tool to again enjoy the dotted release numbering they have grown accustomed to."

Apparently in response to users upset at RedHat's switch to integer release numbering, the Version Magick tool will allow users to convert their installation media and manuals to the more traditional "dotted" release notation some users are more comfortable with.

Beta users have reported the tool is easy to use and very stable. According to one early adopter, "it's just like a Sharpie marker - except it's RED and has a cool fedora logo on it! You use it to draw a little dot between the '1' and the '0' on your CDs, and Shazaam! Release "10" becomes release "1.0". It's really cool!"

Analysts applaud this move by RedHat, saying "This is apparently aimed at those folks who miss the old DOS release numbering scheme, and who never really understood the whole Windows 95, 98, 2000 thing. For those people uncomfortable with the counting numbers, or who like to sniff Sharpie markers, this is a godsend!"

When asked for comment, Bill Gates' spokesman is quoted as saying, "Wow, a RED Sharpie marker! What a great gimmick! I wish we'd thought of that!"