Re: any news of a new RH release?

On Fri, 16 May 2003, John Beamon wrote:

> This is a tiny bit of a tangent, but it's relevant for me right now,
> sitting at my desk in THIS project.  I'm kickstarting a Dell PE1650, and
> they come with e1000 gigabit ethernet cards, which are not supported in
> the version of bootnet.img that I'm using.  Like so many others, I'm
> still rolling servers on 7.3 because it's proven, lightweight, and
> stable by comparison.  Many of us did not upgrade our servers to 8
> because we were waiting for "8.1", which would fix a large percentage of
> 8's inevitable bugs.  Smart people don't upgrade production to a "dot-0"
> release.
>
> I know that the entire kickstart system has been rewritten.  XML, cd iso
> images instead of floppies, the works.  Today, May 16, I'm still
> tweaking my knowledge of 7.3.  By the end of the year, I plan on rolling
> our enterprise up to 9.x, whatever release number is stable at the time.

I firmly believe there will not be a 9.x: there is 9 and _not_ 9.0. Its
successor, I predict, will be 10.

If you want the stablility you have been accustomed to in 7.3 then you
must pay for one of the ES offering that's not yet available, or discard
your RH knowledge and adopt another distribution.

A few on valhalla-list have avowed their intention to move to Debian and
I myself am writing this on a Debian/Woody system with some unoffical
upgrades - KDE 3.1.1, XFree86 4.3.

It comes with pretty much the same UI I've been using for years on RHL,
unlike the radical redesign on RHL 8.0.

--
Please, reply only to the list.