Re: Chicken or egg? NFS file and network driver?

Peter Fales wrote:
I would like to have my kickstart floppy specify the location of the
of the kickstart file on network, without using the DHCP server, since
the DHCP server is out of my control.

This worked fine with RedHat 7.x and 8.0, but as far as I can tell, it is
not possible with RedHat 9.  The kickstart file can tell it where to find
the network driver, but without a network driver, it can't get the
kickstart file.

The only alternative I can see is to store the kickstart configuration
file directly on the boot floppy. That's a problem because it means whenever
the kickstart configuration changes, I have to distribute new boot
disks.  With the earlier releases, I could distribute one boot floppy, and
if a change is needed, all I have to do is change the copy on the NFS
server - people can continue to use the same boot disk.

Am I missing something?  The RedHat 9 scheme feels like a step backward
to me.

What about using the boot.iso image? Make the changes to the isolinux.cfg file and get it to get the ks.cfg file over the network.

Forrest