RE: [Yum] deploying and maintaining linux networks howto

On 23 Apr 2003, seth vidal wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 23:40, Tom Diehl wrote:
> >
> > Sangoma Wanrouter cards also have this problem. The driver comes with the kernel
> > but Sangoma occasionally releases updated drivers. So far the only options
> > I have found are either install the new driver from a tarball (not good) or
> > install the rpm with --force (even worse IMHO). I love their hardware and
> > drivers but their rpm is a problem. I was not aware that one could force
> > things in the %post. If this is right I will need to look into this.
> > I would really prefer not to have to rebuild a kernel rpm just to update a
> > module. Too much like work for me.
>
> can you build the module as a different name and just deploy it
> alongside the kernel?

I am not sure. I have to look at it. I am not sure of the consequences of having
2 sets of modules in the kernel with different names. I suppose it would not
matter as long as the correct modules got loaded.

> you'd have to rebuild it with each kernel update but <shrug> that's not
> very hard.

I already have to rebuild on kernel upgrade, so this is not any additional work.
It is for this reason that the kernels on these machines only get upgraded if
there are remote exploits or stability problems. They are remote unattended
machines with no local users. Some of them are up 8 or 9 months. No stability
problems there. :-)

--
.............Tom	"Nothing would please me more than being able to
tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx	hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market

   			We are still waiting ....