RE: [Yum] deploying and maintaining linux networks howto

oops, I misspoke a little.

What I do to get the same effect as --force is to supersede the file I want to overwrite in a custom rpm %post section that installs after the redhat rpm. In other words, I use rpm B to stomp a file owned by rpm A.

Ugly, but effective.

That means the original redhat rpm will fail a "rpm --verify" check, but that's not a problem in my case, as I can control the prerequisites for the things I need to mess with so that the reverse order installation can't happen.

(consider if package A owns 'foo', and package B supersedes it afterward in a %post script.  how do you install an upgrade to package 'A' without negating your change ?)

Alternately you could I suppose roll your own modified 'not-from-redhat' variant to update the file in the rpm, but that's a bit of a pain to maintain.

--
---------- Vince.Skahan@xxxxxxxxxx ---------
   Connexion by Boeing - Cabin Network