Re: Integrate kickstart with PXE

1)I have installed syslinux rpm downloaded from
kernel.org
2) Copied pxelinux.o to
/tftpboot/X86PC/UNDI/linux-install/
3) Edited /etc/pxe.conf as you had mentioned
4) created the "rh_73.install" and "default" files
along with the link for IP address to rh_73.install in
/tftpboot/X86PC/UNDI/linux-install/pxelinux.cfg
5) Copied the kernel and initrd images to the
directory
 /tftpboot/X86PC/UNDI/linux-install as you had
mentioned.

Now when the installation begins the client gets IP
from DHCP server, boots from the PXE server using
kernel /tftpboot/X86PC/UNDI/linux-install/vmlinuz-7.3
and initail ram disk
/tftpboot/X86PC/UNDI/linux-install/initrd-7.3.img but
when switches to the GUI mode waits for sometine with
the message

Sending request for IP info...

and then gives a kickstart error:

Error opening: kickstart file /tmp/ks.cfg: No such
file or directory

Now why my client is looking for ks.cfg in /tmp
despite mentioning its nfs location in the
rh_73.install file.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
AM

--- a m <amul64@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thank you Aaron (and everyone else who replied) for
> this input. I will definitely try some of the
> following points.
>
> Please stay tuned for another couple of days, in
> case
> I have any further queries...
>
> Thanks once again.
> Regards,
> AM
>

> --- Aaron M Morrison <amm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In my experience, you need to use pxe-linux for
> > this.
> >
> > 1.install and compile syslinux on your pxe server.
> > 2. cp pxelinux.o
> > /tftpboot/X86PC/UNDI/linux-install/.
> >
> > 3. edit /etc/pxe.conf  to use pxelinux image
> instead
> > of image that ships
> > w/pxe
> > # Image file name for Linux install boot server
> type
> > # format : <min layer #> <max layer #> <base file
> > name>
> > [X86PC/UNDI/linux-install/ImageFile_Name]
> > 0
> > 3
> > #linux
> > pxelinux
> >
> > 4. Set up pxelinux config files
> > mkdir
> > /tftpboot/X86PC/UNDI/linux-install/pxelinux.cfg
> > create install files
> > example file:
> >
> > default linux
> >     label linux
> >       kernel vmlinuz-7.3
> >       append ksdevice=eth0 load_ramdisk=1
> > initrd=initrd-7.3.img network
> > ks=nfs:serverL/path-to-ks.files
> >
> > name this file something like rh_73.install.
> >
> > 5. create a symlink from the rh_73.install file
> that
> > is named w/ the hex
> > equiv of the ip address of the machine you want to
> > pxe-kickstart.
> > (use the gethostip program that comes w/ syslinux
> if
> > you need help)
> >
> > 6. From the redhat install images copy the pxe
> > images to your tftp server
> > cp

/somepath/redhat/linux/9/en/os/i386/images/pxeboot/vmlinuz

> > /tftpboot/X86PC/UNDI/linux-install/vmlinuz-7.3
> > cp

/somepath/redhat/linux/9/en/os/i386/images/pxeboot/initrd.img