Re: Integrate kickstart with PXE

Thank you Aaron (and everyone else who replied) for
this input. I will definitely try some of the
following points.

Please stay tuned for another couple of days, in case
I have any further queries...

Thanks once again.
Regards,
AM

--- Aaron M Morrison <amm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In my experience, you need to use pxe-linux for
> this.
>
> 1.install and compile syslinux on your pxe server.
> 2. cp pxelinux.o
> /tftpboot/X86PC/UNDI/linux-install/.
>
> 3. edit /etc/pxe.conf  to use pxelinux image instead
> of image that ships
> w/pxe
> # Image file name for Linux install boot server type
> # format : <min layer #> <max layer #> <base file
> name>
> [X86PC/UNDI/linux-install/ImageFile_Name]
> 0
> 3
> #linux
> pxelinux
>
> 4. Set up pxelinux config files
> mkdir
> /tftpboot/X86PC/UNDI/linux-install/pxelinux.cfg
> create install files
> example file:
>
> default linux
>     label linux
>       kernel vmlinuz-7.3
>       append ksdevice=eth0 load_ramdisk=1
> initrd=initrd-7.3.img network
> ks=nfs:serverL/path-to-ks.files
>
> name this file something like rh_73.install.
>
> 5. create a symlink from the rh_73.install file that
> is named w/ the hex
> equiv of the ip address of the machine you want to
> pxe-kickstart.
> (use the gethostip program that comes w/ syslinux if
> you need help)
>
> 6. From the redhat install images copy the pxe
> images to your tftp server
> cp

/somepath/redhat/linux/9/en/os/i386/images/pxeboot/vmlinuz

> /tftpboot/X86PC/UNDI/linux-install/vmlinuz-7.3
> cp

/somepath/redhat/linux/9/en/os/i386/images/pxeboot/initrd.img

> /tftpboot/X86PC/UNDI/linux-install/initrd-7.3.img
>
> this way you can have many versions installed at
> once, and what boot's
> what is controlled by config file.
>
> aaron
>
> a m wrote:
>
> >No, this again is NOT possible.
> >
> >Everything is working fine - Client gets the IP
> >address from Windows DHCP, boots up from the PXE
> >server and finds the tftp server as well but how do
> >implement the ks.cfg for making this a completely
> >unattended installation.
> >
> >Best Regards,
> >AM
> >
> >--- John <red@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >>is

> >>Can't you wire up another network? I'm doubtful
> >>about getting it working
> >>with Windows getting in the way.

> other

> >>setup

> >>for

> >>the

> >>'semi-functional'

> >>live on your desktop!

> >>--
> >>Please, reply only to the list.
> >>
> >>Join the "Linux Support by Small Businesses" list
> at

=== message truncated ===