Re: %post script to get my files off CD (done) - now run them every boot without password?

> > 1) Given that I have 2 executables which I wish to run (one in the
> > background) every time on start up (I'm not using X), which file should
> > put the commands in?
> >
> > I would normally run my progs at command prompt with:
> >
> > ./LCDd -someargs &
> > ./kecoss
> >
> > These are the only executeables I ever wish the system to run, and I
dont
> > want a to have to type a password as the host will be controlled by
> > numeric
> > keypad.
> >

> Put them in /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
>
> %post
> echo "/path/to/executable/LCDd -somearge &" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local
> echo "/path/to/executable/kecoss" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local

These programs did execute, however the second program "kecoss" needs to be
able to take input from the keypad, no matter what I pressed, it did not
respond. Is this because my program is in the background? If so how do I put
it in the foreground (would "exec" do it?)? Or is it because rc.local is run
before the console is, where the input would come from?

I have just tried putting these scripts in the .bashrc file of root's
directory, "kecoss" executes after I have put my password in, but still does
not take input from keypad like it does if I had loaded it from the console
normally, so is that because it is in the background?  Assuming it is in the
background and I manage (somehow) to put it in the foreground, how do
prevent the user having to enter a password to login?

Somebody said:

 change the /etc/inittab line for tty1 from:

 1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
to:
1:2345:respawn:/bin/bash tty1

but that did not work.

also:
 -  Edit out roots password in /etc/shadow
or
  -  Comment out roots password in /etc/passwd

But no luck, does anyone have any ideas?

Regards,

Lloyd