RE: Kickstart http parameters

I wanted unique host-config on machines, I run large DHCP-scopes on client-subnets.
The only thing thats unique is the ethernet (mac). Right now in using ks=http:host:/cgi/ks?host=clientX  and it works but requires manual action. I wanted to get rid of the manual action, ofcourse I can always connect hostname to ethernet/mac in dhcp and use the same info in the cgi-script to generate configs, but that would mean DHCP-administration...

/// D

> Hi all!
>
> Is there a way to get the ethernet-adress of a client when its requesting
the ks.cfg-file from a http-server?

> I want to generate the ks.cfg with a cfg-script and the only unique id on
my hosts is ethernet-adress.

Let's dig a little deeper here... of course it is *possible*.  Even with
hosts behind proxy servers and different firewalls..  Of course it may take
a tiny shell/perl script to do it..  Basically do an ifconfig and grep out
the MAC address, then do a wget to your web server with the mac address
embedded in the url.. that would tip off your cgi-bin script to crank out a
kickstart file with MAC info.  Just out of curiosity, what do you need to
MAC address for in the kickstart file?

James S. Martin, RHCE
Contractor
Administrative Office of the United States Courts
Washington, DC
(202) 502-2394