Re: how to manage kickstart file

On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 08:33, Eric.Doutreleau@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm succesfully manage my 200+ workstation RH7.3 with kickstart + cfengine
> and
> some other software.
>
> But now as the computer are quite heterogeneous in hardware ,
> configuration and software i have a lot of kickstart file and it
> become difficult to manage it.
>
> I can't use the PXE functionnality as it is used by windows staff with a
> RIS server.
>
> right now i got the kickstart file by NFS.
>
> I would like now to structure the kickstart.
> Basically there would be some generic definition for ( but not
> exhaustively ).
>
> -machine with little disk
> -machine with big disk
> -machine with some specific software
> -machine with double boot.
>
> Then ideally my kickstart files will be a sum of include of other file.
>
> The problem is that i can't include file from NFS.
>
> and i can't mount the directory where the include file are because
> it s already too late.
>
> Has someone already succeed in doing such kind of thing?

more or less - setup your bootdisks to get your ks.cfg from http - then
use a cgi script to concatenate your ks.cfg out of the sections you
have.

We do this here but it is poorly documented as we wrote it in maybe a
couple of days total.

You have two config files:
One defines a profile let's say "little disk" and gives a list of
includes in a certain order

the other gives a list of hostnames (regex in our case) and which
profile they use.

so the client machine makes a request - the server knows its ip,
resolves it to a name, checks the profile hostname regex to see which
profile it has, then looks up the files it should concatenate for the
ks.cfg.

that's it.

-sv