Re: Updating Installation Repository

On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 17:27, John wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Jason P Holland wrote:
>

> > Hello all,
> >   I was wondering if anyone knows of any tools already written or hanging
> > around that can automate keeping an installation repository of rpms
> > uptodate with the current patched rpms??  I have a kickstart setup working
> > great, but I currently have to manually pull down the updates, remove the
> > old rpm's and replace them with the updated ones.
>

> I do that, but automatically on first boot. A script to automate this
> would
>
> rpm --freshen modutils # because a new kernel may require it
> Check for and "rpm --install" the latest appropriate kernel
> check for and "rpm --upgrade" glibc # glibc has an i686.rpm, and in the
> past has been repackaged. Both require special action.
>
> You should then be able to "rpm --freshen" the  rest.
>
> My script is cruder than that, featuring loops and examination of error
> message to discover missing prerequisites. Hopefully, the technique I
> describe here will work better.

Freshen will routinely get things not-quite-right for whats really
needed.

If you want to update a computer post-install I'd recommend any of the
following:

yum
up2date
apt-rpm

If you want to update an install tree with the most current pkgs for
more installs there are a bunch of tree updating options.

one is not terribly flexible but is a "proof of concept" here:
http://www.dulug.duke.edu/treetools/

-sv