Bad interaction between PXE and grub?

Hi all,

I'm trying to make use of a heavily customised install tree and kickstart
configuration booting using PXE.  Everything appears to work correctly, no
errors on any screens during install, but then when I reboot, grub fails
to find its stage2...

The boxes (Tyan motherboards with onboard dual 82557 eepro100) are set to
boot first via PXE, and at the end of the installation the pxelinux.cfg
symlink is moved so the boxes pick up an 'immediately boot from local'
configuration instead.

After the installation, the BIOS correctly picks up the new config and
unloads the PXE stack, but then I get 'GRUB loading stage2...'.  The
behaviour at this point is one of
- doesn't do much at all, can be rebooted with Ctrl-Alt-Del
- accesses the floppy drive but is locked solid, reset button required

I've checked the devices.map that grub created during installation, but
the entry '(hd0) /dev/hda' is definitely correct.  Everything else looks
fine too.  Does anybody else have any experience of bad interactions
between PXE and grub?  Either works fine alone, it seems!

[One other gotcha with this motherboard is that I have to wind down to
hdparm -X66 before enabling DMA, due to a bug in the OSB4 chipset; I'll
try playing along those lines in case pxe+grub tickles that bug too.]

Thanks,
Phil