From: Brett Schwarz [mailto:brett_schwarz@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2003 3:04 PM
To: kickstart-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Hands off install from CDROM

Hummm, someone asked a very similar question just
recently...maybe it was on the anaconda list though...

--- "T.D. Brace" <ted@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to do a hands off install from cdrom for
> RH8.  What i've done so far:
>
> 1. copy all 3 cds to a directory on my hd.
> 2. trim out the packages I don't need.
> 3. rebuilt the hdlist.

You may need to modify comps.xml, depending on exactly
how you are doing your package selection, and if you
removed any packages from the Core and Base groups.

This error would show up later though (mostly likely
you would get a traceback).

> 4. created my kickstart file including delete all
> partitions and create new ones.
> 5. mounted the dosutils/autoboot/initrd image, and
> copy my ks.cfg into the /tmp directory
>     on the image.  Unmount it.

First of all, I don't think this is the image that you
want to modify. I am not at my computer right now to
check, but I think there is an image in the isolinux
directory now. If there isn't then you would need to
use the image in the boot directory (i.e. boot.img).

However, you can now put the kickstart file on your
CD. Previous RH releases had a bug where you could not
do this, but with 8.0, you can put it on the CD
directory.

> 6. Edit the /isolinux/isolinux.cfg, and set ks=file.

If you put it on the CD directly, then use
ks=cdrom:/ks.cfg

Where /ks.cfg is the location of your kickstart file
on the CD filesystem (it's in the root directory of
the CD in this example).

> 7. Made an ISO image with:
>   mkisofs -o ../linux.iso -V 'RH Install' \
>                 -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c
> isolinux/boot.cat \
>                 -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4
> -boot-info-table .
> 8. Burn the cd with:
>   cdrecord -v speed=24 dev=0,0,0 linux.iso

I tried the new isolinux boot mechanism, but I could
not get it to work (although I didn't try very
hard...time limits). I just used the old mechanism,
and it worked fine for me, although I admit the new
way (isolinux) is easier to work with.

     --brett

p.s. this is off the top of my head, since I can't
check my notes on my home computer ...