Re: Hands off install from CDROM

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, T.D. Brace wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to do a hands off install from cdrom for RH8.  What i've done so far:
>
> 1. copy all 3 cds to a directory on my hd.
> 2. trim out the packages I don't need.
> 3. rebuilt the hdlist.
> 4. created my kickstart file including delete all partitions and create new ones.
> 5. mounted the dosutils/autoboot/initrd image, and copy my ks.cfg into the /tmp directory
>     on the image.  Unmount it.
> 6. Edit the /isolinux/isolinux.cfg, and set ks=file.
> 7. Made an ISO image with:
>   mkisofs -o ../linux.iso -V 'RH Install' \
>                 -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat \
>                 -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table .
> 8. Burn the cd with:
>   cdrecord -v speed=24 dev=0,0,0 linux.iso
>

> Boot it on my test machine, and anaconda doesn't seem to see my kickstart file as it asks
> for langauge etc.   If I select the options, it still says it can't find the redhat cd.  Does the RPM-GPG-KEY
> need to be rebuilt?
>
> Any other ideas?  I need just a simple install, but the computers these will get installed
> to won't have any keyboard/mouse/monitor hooked up (print servers).
>
> Thanks for any pointers.

Precisely where did you put the ks file? Read the docs, paying
particular attention to this point.

You could also try
a) Network installs. You don't need a trimmed CD for this.
b) Manually setup one system (you can use a serial cable to another
machine for this, and minicom to man the terminal), and then backup the
system and restore it onto each of the others. Mondo can be used for
this, it creates a CD that, when booted, can recreate the backed-up
system.

--
Please, reply only to the list.