Modified boot kernel won't fit on boot diskette

I'm trying to get a boot kernel that can handle 4GB of memory, so that my kickstart %post can make some decisions based on memory size.  Right now the boot kernel isn't configured for HIGHMEM4G and so looking at /proc/meminfo or dmesg output only shows 896M of memory.

I've compiled the new kernel, but its just enough larger that it won't fit in my 1.44MB boot image.  I'm sure I've seen reference to making a larger boot image on a floppy, but can't find it in any of my notes or browsing the kickstart archives back through last April.

Can anyone help me out?  BTW, the boot image and kickstart files will actually be on a CDROM.  I'm just modifying the default boot.img on a floppy for testing (reduce wasting CDs).

Donald E. Bodle, Jr.

Sr. Systems Integration Engineer

Platform Development

The Reynolds and Reynolds Co.