Alternatives to kickstart???

What other alternatives are there for imaging a large number of machines and
do minor customization on them like hostname and IP address?

Kickstart is nice .. but getting the developers I work with to document the
install of there application so I can integrate it is becoming a chore. I
would like something where I can take a snapshot of a box and deploy that to
many other boxes.

Considered developing something myself .... like making tar balls of the
file systems and deploying those but figured I would ask the question and
see if there was anything else.

Thanks,

-->Rob