Re: Deploying multiple OS types from a single server?

On Sat, 8 Feb 2003, Robert Nielsen wrote:
>       I'm looking for a good way to deploy Red Hat Linux 8.0 and Windows
> 2000.  Right now I've got two servers, one using Kickstart and the other
> using RIS.  These are each completely independent systems and only one
> can be live at a time.  My world would be a better place if I could find
> a good way to consolidate this operation to one server instead.

We are currently doing just this. We are working with a 3rd party product
Rembo <http://www.rembo.com> which is capable of deploying Win32 platform
images as well other x86 OSes, including Windows 2000.
	We use an OpenLDAP server to hold configuration information for
all our servers. From here we build our DHCP entries, and DNS tables.
Instead of using the SYSLinux tools to commence the PXe we are using the
Rembo toolkit to do this.
	For deploying Linux we then check DNS values and LDAP values to
build the different sorts of machines around site, (Postgres Servers,
Samba Server, Mail Servers) Ever Samba Server, then can deploy the Windows
2000 clients.
	We currently have deployed around 1200 Windows 2000 desktops, and
9 Linux servers this way. Any one of the Linux servers being capable of
deploying more Windows Desktops or more Linux Servers in the 3 types
mentioned.
	Hope this helps
	Edmund
Edmund J. Sutcliffe                     Thoughtful Solutions; Creatively
<edmunds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>               Implemented and Communicated
<http://panic.fluff.org>                +44 (0) 7976 938841