Re: kickstarting linux on Gigabit ethernet

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, KHALID _ wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Very soon I will be getting a cluster of nodes that will be running 8.0,
> with gigabit ethernet (copper 10/100/1000) interconnect. I remember that I
> had some fun when trying to kickstart a cluster through Gigabit (fiber
> 1000), and ended up being told that kickstart does not work on fiber :(
>
> Now am I expected to run into the same fun I had earlier? Has anybody in
> this list tried it out and can tell me that it can go as easy as
> kickstarting on fast ethernet?

I've not tried it, but I'd expect it to be precisely as easy as
fast-ethernet.

That is, if you have a boot floppy with all your neeeded drivers (for
the network) then it will work easily.

The problems I've had with fast-ethernet have arisen because the bootnet
floppy image didn't have the driver I needed for the network card; once
that's addressed by creating a custom boot floppy it's fine.

In my case, the inconvenience was that I had to use a second floppy if I
didn't create a custom floppy.

--
Please, reply only to the list.