Re: Issue with NFS install of 8.0

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 01:49:48PM -0800, Carl Riches wrote:
> On 22 Nov 2002, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
>
> > I know this is a long shot but it's worth a try: are you absolutely
> > sure that you're not having an ARP issue?  I've had issues where one
> > machine will install fine, but then another won't because the DHCP
> > server handed out the same IP address (after all, the first machine
> > specifically let go of its lease) but the ARP cache on the server had
> > yet to expire.
> >

> It fails even when the client has a static IP address, the kickstart file
> is on a floppy disk and the only thing to find via NFS is the CD images.
> Beginning with Red Hat 7.3 we had to do a floppy-based kickstart and have
> the CDs to hand, swapping them out as requested by the installer.  The Red
> Hat 7.3 installer just won't do NFS with a Tru64 Unix 5.1a system.

That's exactly what I'm seeing with 8.0, though I think it might be
easier to point it at an FTP-based installation tree rather than swap
CDs - at least the entire installation can go by unattended. It's still
not a good solution for us because our post-install scripts, etc, rely
on the NFS environment...

Our NFS server was running Tru64 5.1 a week ago; same problem then, so
it's not just an issue with 5.1a (not much of a point but I thought I'd
mention it).

Graham
Graham Allan
School of Physics and Astronomy - University of Minnesota