Re: Kickstart

On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 12:21, Thomas Dodd wrote:

> > Re: Kickstart
> > From:
> > John <red@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Date:
> > Thu, 21 Nov 2002 03:57:12 +0800 (WST)
> > To:
> > kickstart-list@xxxxxxxxxx
> >

> >On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, david wrote:
> >
> >>there a way to "mirror" the RHN Updates to a Server so that my workstations
> >>are not using allot of (person) time and bandwidth to download updates
> >>

> >Use rsync or similar to maintain a local archive. up2date won't use it
> >though, without some additional unsupported (by RH) hackery.
> >

> Another option, that not trickery nor unsupported.
>
> Use the machine with most complete pakage set. That's one that has all
> the packages the other machines have.
> Tell up2date to not erase the pakages after installing. Now export the
> directory where the packages are stored (/var/spool/up2date is the
> default). On the other machines mount that some where (like
> /var/spool/up2date/shared). Now configure up2date on those machines to
> look in that director for packages (up2date-config,
> Retrieval/Installation, Package storage directory).
>
> Now up2date will query rhn for the packages that need updating, will see
> they are already downloaded, and just upodate them useing the current
> stored files.
>
> You can also grab the updates from ftp.redhat.com or mirrors in
> pub/redhat/linux/updates/<release>/<arch>,put them in a shared
> directory, and point up2date at that directory. You might have unneeded
> packages that way, but it might be easier to get the files.
> If you do this method, you should put the files in one directory, not
> the arch specfic directories. You need the files from i386, noarch, and
> the actual arch you have (athlon, i586, or i686).

Rather than going through all this work you could use something like
yum:
http://www.dulug.duke.edu/yum/

it can easily take rhl systems and update them to all the current
versions of things from the errata.

We use it for just that on a pile of machines at duke.

just setup a web or ftp server, download the errata
run yum-arch [top level directory]
install yum on your clients and yum update.

very simple and works well with rhl 7.x and 8.0

significantly smaller and easier to understand than apt-get and none of
the weird registration mess that up2date has.

-sv