Re: Maintaining and updated network release

On Tue Nov 12 2002 at 11:47, "Strange, John" wrote:

> It's been a while since I did this and I'm struggling so please bear with
> me, I've ready the howto's that people have provided but there are a few
> things that bug me about the anaconda-runtime stuff.
>
> 1.  Where are the man pages for all this stuff?  Is there any documentation
> from redhat at all?

Not all that much exists, especially from redhat.  "read the source"
is usually the catch-cry.  It is a long-standing problem, the
promise is that this will eventually be addressed.

> 2.  What is the exact order of things that need to be done, everyone seems
> to be doing it a little bit different.

They are?  The basic build process is essentially the same, but some
of the details may differ (there's usually more than one way to do
things with linux :)

> 3.  Do I need to run pkgorder?

Yes, especially if you are making split iso images for burning to
cdrom.  It isn't so important for nfs/http/ftp installs, where
package order information isn't necessary as all packages are
available at the same time.

> 4.  When I go to update my installation source with the updates rpms from
> redhat what do you now do with all the athlong/ia64/s390 stuff?

Put (replace) them in i386/RedHat/RPMS/ as usual.

> 5.  My installs now bomb out with anaconda issues!

Hmm, then something isn't right :)

> 6.  Does what distro of redhat you use to run pkgorder matter?

Yes.  Run the version of anaconda that is appropriate for the local
installation, and use it to build the same distribution.  For
example, don't try building a rh7.3 installation on a rh80 box, or
vice versa... it won't work.  (Or, I'd be suprised if it did:)

> If someone can shed some light on the basic process I'd love to hear it.  Or
> point me in the right spot for documentation would be great!

For redhat 7.x try:

	http://www.linuxworks.com.au/redhat-installer-howto.html

Most, but not all of it, also applies to rh80... but things have
changed (I haven't updated that howto yet for 8.0).

For redhat 8.0, try:

	http://www.personam.it/luigi/redhat-cd-howto/

Anaconda also has a dedicated home page now, it is at:

	http://rhlinux.redhat.com/anaconda/index.html

There are also some important things mentioned in the rh80 release
notes and the (sparse) documentation that comes with the anaconda
rpms (on the cdrom and in /usr/share/doc).

> Thanks,
>
> - john

Cheers
Tony