RE: kickstart over WAN?

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

>> Has anyone on the list ever kickstarted over a WAN?
>
> I've kickstarted at home over my cable modem off of my server at
> work.  It worked fine; I only get about 2.5Mbps downstream so it took
> a little while but it was still more convenient than burning CDs.
>
>> When the developers are done trashing a RH 7.3 machine, I want to
>> be able to "reimage" the remote machine so that it has a fresh
>> kickstart install.
>
> Back when I still used lilo I had a "reinstall" target that, when
> booted into, would reinstall a machine.  It worked pretty well, but my
> setup has changed so much that I'd have to start from scratch.
>
>> 1. How do I kick off the anaconda installer on a running machine?
>
> All you have to do is load the vmlinuz and initrd.img from the bootnet
> floppy and pass the proper parameters.  These can be on the hard disk
> if you like.
>
>> 3. How would I set the default gateway so that the kickstarting
>> machine could actually talk to the kickstart server?
>
> I use DHCP; the machine will set the proper IP address once it gets
> the kickstart file from the http server.
>
>> I know with Solaris I would just dump a WebStart image on the 2nd
>> internal disk in the box and then boot off of that.  I don't think
>> I can do that with kickstart.
>
> Why not?  It doesn't care where the image comes from; the initrd is
> self contained.  You could even build a custom initrd file with the
> appropriate kickstart file already in it; if you do this dynamically,
> all you should have to do is build a proper initrd and put it and the
> proper vmlinuz in /boot, kick grub so that it will reboot into the
> proper image once, and reboot.  If all goes well, the machine should
> come back up into the newly installed OS.  The major assumption is
> that you can get Grub to _not_ reboot into the "reinstall" target;
> otherwise the machine will just reinstall itself endlessly.

Yes you can.  As part of my kickstarts of 7.3 I install the 2.4.18-10 kernel
upgrade as I don't like the stock kernel thrashing our Solaris NFS servers
;-)

What I do in the %post section is:

rpm -ivh
ftp://mirror.cam.pace.co.uk/pub/redhat/linux/updates/7.3/en/os/i386/kernel-2
.4.18-10.i386.rpm
/sbin/grubby --set-default=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-10

I'm sure that Grub, like LILO, has a 'reboot into this image on next reboot
only' option too.

Cheers,

Neil.

--
Neil Bingham, Software Team Leader, Engineering Tools Group.
Pace Micro Technology plc                   Tel: +44 (0) 1223 518574