Re: Hassles with 8.0 - renegotiating the DHCP?!?

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 06:56:32PM -0400, knights-of-ni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Thanks Kelley, I'll have a look at the bug report.  I thought along the
> same lines as you when this error started happening, and updated my
> pxelinux.0, but found the same problem.  The release of pxelinux.0 that
> I am using is out of the latest syslinux package (1.76), though I am
> unsure what rev. this is.  Should I be using a different version?
>
> The client *does* try a DHCPDISCOVER 4 times before giving up though...

Yeah, but those are kind of a red herring (or at least they were for me).
The discovers weren't what was failing as much as it was that pump was
failing to see the reply.

Here's the relevant line from loader.c:

    if (kickstartNetwork(&devName, &netDev, "dhcp", flags)) {
        logMessage("no dhcp response received");
       return 1;
    }

In my case, pxelinux was doing something funky that left something (driver,
kernel, or whatever) in a state that prevented the kickstartNetwork() from
seeing the dhcp server's reply.  Calling kickstartNetwork() a second time
seemed to reset whatever was hanging, and the first discover in the
second instance of kickstartNetwork() finally saw the reply.

My suggestion though, rather than trying to patch loader and rebuild boot
images, is to try another version of pxelinux first.  1.65 is working
like a champ for 6.2 to 8.0 for me, so you might want to give that version
a shot and see what happens.

--
Kelley Spoon                                        Main: 210-892-4000
Rackspace Managed Hosting                            Fax: 210-892-4329