behavior of rpm --replacepkgs

I'm cooking up a custom installer/updater that is
intended to:
 - add rpms needing adding
 - update rpms needing updating
 - do nothing to rpms already present

I know that I can 'rpm -F' to freshen/update only the rpms that
need updating to a newer version, and do nothing to rpms that
are already installed.

I know I can 'rpm -i' to install new rpms, but it blows up if you give
it a list of rpms that contains something already present on the system.

What I'd like to do is pass a long list of rpms, and have
rpm "do the right thing" (don't see that switch there :-)

Doing "rpm -Uvh --replacepkgs *.rpm" is very close to what I'm looking
for in terms of behavior, except it actually reinstalls rpms that are in
the *.rpm list that are already present on the system.  I just want it to
skip rpms that don't need updating (ala Freshen) while still being
smart enough to install new stuff that's not on disk yet.

Anybody know of any combination of rpm options that does this ?

Thanks...

--
---------- Vince.Skahan@xxxxxxxxxx ---------
   Connexion by Boeing - Cabin Network