8GB is not enough space in / partition

Greetings. We've been having a peculiar problem with a kickstart installation in Redhat 7.3. We're trying to install onto a Dell workstation with a 40GB, ATA disk drive.

We assign four primary partitions, one for each of /boot, /, swap, and /local, and assign 8GB (N.B.) to the root (/) partition. See the appended ks.cfg for the exact details.

The problem is that after the installer chews on all of our package information, it reports back that we don't have enough space in our / partition: we need 1342MB more!

The partitions are created as we specify in ks.cfg. (We checked this by going into bash via CTRL-ALT-F2 after we got the complaint.)

It seems pretty clear that 8GB is adequate space for everything on all the Redhat CD's and is way more space than we've ever actually used for Redhat installations.

We've tried a couple of variations on the appended: we first excluded the "Games and Entertainment" block of programs, basically just to see if the installer was paying attention at all. Doing this dropped the shortfall to 1310MB, so, yes, the installer is doing SOME kind of calculation here.

The second thing we tried was to scale back the size of the swap partition to 2000MB. We've specified 2048 as the size of the swap partition in interactive installations, and that always works, but the actual size turns out to be somewhat less than 2048. Changing to 2000MB, i.e., well below the upper limit for swap space, had no effect on the problem.

I've appended an expurgated version of our ks.cfg file (expurgated to remove the actual names and addresses of local systems). We also have an extensive post-install section, which I've omitted. We're not getting any place close to that, but I can provide the details if anybody thinks they're relevant.

Can anybody suggest what we're doing wrong?

Thanks.

                                        - Mike

install
lang en_US
langsupport --default en_US.iso885915 en_US.iso885915

keyboard us
mouse logimmanps/2 --device psaux

xconfig --card "NVIDIA GeForce 2 GTS (generic)" --videoram 32768 --hsync 30.0-85.0 --vsync 50.0-152.0 --resolution 1152x864 --depth 16 --startxonboot

network --device eth0 --bootproto dhcp --nameserver 169.237...

rootpw --iscrypted $...

firewall --medium --dhcp --port ssh:tcp
nfs --server ssssss.ucdavis.edu --dir /redhat/7.3

authconfig --enableshadow --enablemd5 --enablenis --nisdomain ...... --nisserver pppppp.ucdavis.edu

timezone --utc America/Los_Angeles

bootloader --location=mbr

text

zerombr yes
clearpart --all
part /boot   --fstype ext3 --size 64        --asprimary
part swap    --fstype swap --size 2048      --asprimary
part /       --fstype ext3 --size 8192      --asprimary
part /local  --fstype ext3 --size 1 --grow  --asprimary

######reboot

%packages
@ Printing Support
@ Classic X Window System