Re: Keeping systems up to date?

On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 13:17, Erik Williamson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I realize that this may be slightly off topic for this forum, but I
> figure that those who are interested in mass-deployment methods are also
> interested in ways to keep all their systems up to date, as well as
> having methods to push out new packages, etc.  If you know of a better
> place to post, I'm all ears!
>
> I'm about to begin a 7.3 roll-out here, to over 100 machines which serve
> as anything from print servers, to graphics workstations.  In the past
> I've used autoupdate on a server
> (http://www.mat.univie.ac.at/~gerald/ftp/autoupdate/) coupled with a
> rather large script which would copy over various config files, other
> tarballs, etc. to the client machines.  I'm in the process of dreaming
> up a slightly different approach now - but...

I like using http://www.dulug.duke.edu/yum/ (I also wrote it :) and some
simple cron scripts for updating config files.

> I'm wondering what the rest of you do - If there's one magical solution
> for this!  I'm really interested to know what the rest of you have come
> up with.  Maybe with a bit of collaboration we can come up with
> something.

Something that keeps the rpms updated and correct is handy - I tend to
separate config files from the rpm updating b/c they aren't really the
same concept to me. So thats why I have a fairly simple cron job that
wgets things to fix up config files.

-sv