Re: Intel Pro 1000 woes

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 02:30:59PM -0700, Christopher Malek wrote:
> I had experienced precisely the kind of undefined symbol you
> mention here, and the performing the steps I had mentioned fixed
> that.  Hmm.  Maybe you're not using the right config file from
> /usr/src/linux-<version>/configs?
>
> Chris

Chris,
Your suggestion led me to the problem indirectly!

I found that there was no 'configs' directory under the kernel source tree.
It turns out, I had installed the kernel sources from the RPM sources
(SRPMS) present on the RH7.3 CD #3. I should have installed the kernel
sources from the RPMS directory (where the other RPMS are located).
In other words, I had installed
	kernel-2.4.18-3.src.rpm
instead of
	kernel-source-2.4.18-3.i386.rpm

The '.src' RPM  had the same config files (but located in
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/), but the sources are probably different.
For, when I installed the 'kernel-source-2.4.18-3.i386.rpm' and
just did a build of the modules, the version numbers seem to match.

Now *why* RedHat would include 2 different copies of the source
tree is beyond me.

In any case, thanks to you and Oliver, the mystery has been solved.

Ajay