Re: undoubtedly easy question about customizing syslinux.cfg

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   a couple kickstart-related questions about messing with the
> syslinux.cfg file.  first, here's the syslinux.cfg file out of
> the "boot.img" file:
>
> default linux
> prompt 1
> timeout 600
> display boot.msg
> F1 boot.msg
> F2 general.msg
> F3 param.msg
> F4 rescue.msg
> F7 snake.msg
> label linux
>   kernel vmlinuz
>   append initrd=initrd.img lang= devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=8192 vga=788
> label text
>   kernel vmlinuz
>   append initrd=initrd.img lang= text devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=8192
> label expert
>   kernel vmlinuz
>   append expert initrd=initrd.img lang= devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=8192
> label ks
>   kernel vmlinuz
>   append ks initrd=initrd.img lang= devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=8192
> label nofb
>   kernel vmlinuz
>   append initrd=initrd.img lang= devfs=nomount nofb ramdisk_size=8192
> label lowres
>   kernel vmlinuz
>   append initrd=initrd.img lang= lowres devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=8192
>

>   as a beginning, the wording in the syslinux.doc file seems misleading.
> that file describes the configuration line
>
>   DEFAULT kernel options...
>
> as i understand it, the word after "default" is not a kernel, it's simply
> a label that should match one of the labelled stanzas further down the
> file, correct?

Yes,but not sure if you can put options on the default line though.
I always put the options down on the append line.

>   second point: if, at the boot prompt, i type a label followed by
> one or more options, i'm assuming that those options are *added* to
> the append options already listed for that label, yes?  so if i type
>
>   boot: linux ks=floppy
>
> i get the stanza labelled by "linux" with all of the corresponding
> append options, *as well as* my "ks=floppy" option, right?

Yes, I do this all of the time.

>   now say i wanted to create a custom boot floppy that automatically
> did a floppy-based kickstart install.  i can see a couple of different
> ways to do this:
>
> 1) just change the default line to read
>
>   default linux ks=floppy

Again not sure about the options on the default line.

> 2) add a new stanza with a label like, say "ks", that had the
> ks=floppy option appended to the list of options, and have the
> default line
>
>   default ks
>
> leaving the original linux stanza where it was.

This is what I do. Just change the default to ks and add
options on the append line as required.

>   will either of these work?  is one recommended over the other?

The second one will work for sure. Do not know about the first.
I have a boot floppy that defaults to ks and times out in 5 seconds.
I also have nfs and dhcp set up on my network. This allows me to
put a floppy in the machine and come back in an hour to find a functional
and customized system ready to do work (modulo any configuration errors
on my part of course). I love it!!

One of these days I have to get PXE working. That is my next project.

Enjoy,

--
.............Tom	"Nothing would please me more than being able to
tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx	hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market

   			We are still waiting ....