Re: Adding RAID Driver to Modules.cgz

On Fri, 31 May 2002 Rebecca.R.Hepper@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> I need to do a Redhat 7.1 kickstart on a system with a Promise ATA RAID
> controller which requires a driver called ft.o.  I follow an old kickstart
> posting to add drivers to modules.cgz (see my steps below).  I add the ft.o
> driver, modify the module-info and module.dep files then create a kickstart
> floppy.   On the main screen, it says "Loading ft driver";  on the Alt F3
> screen I see the following:
> going to insmod ft.o (path is null)

why do you want to use the fastrak stuff? the promise fastrak
"raid"-controller is nothing more than a bios bootable software-raid. so
why not use linux' own software-raid - it performs better, and is quite
easy to install (it should work setting it up via kickstart, too).
the only point for using it i see is, that a coexsisting windoze should
use the fastrak stuff for striping, too.
by the way, the ft.o module just leads to a scsi-device which can be
accessed from the installer - /dev/ataraid/d0p1 etc. doesn't work from
there...
hope that helped somehow
 timo