Adding RAID Driver to Modules.cgz

Hey All,

I need to do a Redhat 7.1 kickstart on a system with a Promise ATA RAID
controller which requires a driver called ft.o.  I follow an old kickstart
posting to add drivers to modules.cgz (see my steps below).  I add the ft.o
driver, modify the module-info and module.dep files then create a kickstart
floppy.   On the main screen, it says "Loading ft driver";  on the Alt F3
screen I see the following:
going to insmod ft.o (path is null)
/tmp/ft.o:  unresolved symbol scsi_unregister_module
/tmp/ft.o:  unresolved symbol scsi_register
/tmp/ft.o:  unresolved symbol scsi_register_module
Then eventually:  "no IDE floppy devices found" and the main screen says
"No valid devices found on which to create new filesystems"

Since the modules.dep file shows scsi_mod as a dependency I thought maybe I
needed to add that to modules.cgz.  I added it and receive the same errors
plus more, similiar to the following " /tmp/scsi_mod unresolved errors"

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Thanks!

Here are my steps to add drivers to modules.cgz:

prereq.
    copy of the standard boot and drivers images
    /mnt/cdrom/images/bootnet.img and drivers.img

1.  Set things up for us
    1. mkdir /tmp/boot
    2. mkdir /tmp/boot/custum_img
    3. mkdir /tmp/boot/initrd_img
    4. mkdir /tmp/boot/modules
    5. mkdir /tmp/drivers
    6. mkdir /tmp/drivers/drivers_img
    7. mkdir /tmp/drivers/modules
    8. cp /mnt/cdrom/images/bootnet.img /tmp/boot/custom.img
    9. cp /mnt/cdrom/images/drivers.img /tmp/drivers/

2.  Mount and decompress the files from boot image
    1. get into boot working dir. cd /tmp/boot
    2. mount custum.img as filesystem mount -o loop custum.img custum_img
    3. decompress the initrd gzip -dc custum_img/initrd.img >initrd.ext2
    4. mount initrd.ext2 as filesystem mount -o loop initrd.ext2 initrd_img
    5. get modules from initrd_img gzip -dc initrd_img/modules/modules.cgz
>modules.cpio
    6. extract cpio archive into /tmp/boot/modules cd /tmp/boot/modules;
cpio -idumv </tmp/boot/modules.cpio

3.  Make the changes that's requeried i.e get new modules in place
    1. copy ft.o to /tmp/boot/modules/2.4.2-2BOOT
    2. remove unwanted modules in 2.4.2-2BOOT
    3. edit /tmp/boot/initrd_img/modules/module-info remove old modules
enter info for new modules
    4. Find new dependencies if any & update
/tmp/boot/initrd_img/modules/modules.dep
    5. Find new hardware update if any & update
/tmp/boot/initrd_img/modules/pcitable

4.  Rebuild the new boot disk
    1.  get into modules dir. cd /tmp/boot/modules
    2.  create new modules.cpio file find 2.4.2-2BOOT -print -depth |cpio
-H
crc -ovF modules.cpio 2> /dev/null
    3.  compress modules.cpio gzip -S .cgz modules.cpio
    4.  remove old modules.cgz rm /tmp/boot/initrd_img/modules/modules.cgz
    5.  mv new modules.cgz in place mv modules.cpio.cgz
/tmp/boot/initrd_img/modules/modules.cgz
    6.  get into boot dir. cd /tmp/boot/initrd_img
    7.  create zerofile touch zerofile
    8.  fill up filesystem with zero's cat /dev/zero >zerofile
    9.  sync filesystem to disk sync
    10. remove zerofile rm zerofile
    12. cd /tmp/boot
    11. unmount initrd filesystem umount initrd_img
    12. recompress initrd.ext2 gzip initrd.ext2
    13. remove old initrd.img rm custum_img/initrd.img
    14. place new initrd on boot img mv initrd.ext2.gz
custum_img/initrd.img
    15. unmount bootnet filesystem umount custum_img

5. place custum.img on boot disk
    1.  dd if=custum.img of=/dev/fdo