Re: problem with order of installation of package

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Eric Doutreleau wrote:

> > PM> The pkgorder only affects which package gets on which CD which has
> > PM> nothing to do with the actual installation order!
> >
> > That does not coincide with my experiences.  I find that having an
> > accurate pkgorder file when building the hdlist makes a very large
> > amount of difference.
>
> I totally agree with that
> I modified the pkgorder file before generation the hdlist and i had my
> zlib package installed before the font package.

Hmm, interesting. A quick look at the source:
Anaconda checks whether the hdlist is preordered, logs a warning if one of
the packages doesn't have an order tag and then runs
transactionset.order() on the set, which in turn as far as I can tell
asks rpmlib to sort the packages by dependenices.

So.. my understanding is that the pkgorder shouldn't be necessary if the
dependencies are correct (which I guess would explain why I haven't seen
problems with not running pkgorder) but I'm wondering why does it make a
difference then in some cases...

Anybody from RH care to comment?

	- Panu -