From: Jason L Tibbitts III [mailto:tibbs@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 11:55 AM
To: kickstart-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: questions about pxe images in rh72

VS> I have another system with no floppy or cdrom, but it has a bios
VS> that can be set to boot off the network first, and try the disk
VS> second if nobody answers.  It's an Intel chipset that tries to PXE
VS> boot. How do I configure a kickstart server to get the
VS> installation going without any boot media at all (just a dhcp/rh72
VS> server) ?

I just use syslinux.  Note: this setup is for installing RH7.1.  7.2
is similar.  dhcpd.conf includes (among other things):

subnet 192.168.16.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        range 192.168.16.100 192.168.16.120;

        allow unknown-clients;
        allow bootp;

        get-lease-hostnames on;

        next-server 192.168.16.1;
        filename "/pxelinux.0";
}

You need tftp-server installed and running; /var/tftpboot contains:

-rw-r--r--    1 tibbs    root          440 May 27  2001 boot.msg
-rw-r--r--    1 tibbs    tibbs      773163 May 27  2001 initrd.img
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         9364 May 27  2001 pxelinux.0
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 May 27  2001 pxelinux.cfg/
-rw-r--r--    1 tibbs    tibbs      652144 May 27  2001 vmlinuz

./pxelinux.cfg:
-rw-r--r--    1 tibbs    root          191 May 27  2001 default

pxelinux.cfg/default contains:

DEFAULT ks
DISPLAY boot.msg
PROMPT 1
TIMEOUT 500
label ks
  kernel vmlinuz
  append vga=788 initrd=initrd.img lang= devfs=nomount
ks=nfs:master.lab00.math.uh.edu:/usr/local/kickstart/ks.cfg

Note that this needs changing for 7.2; you must at least include the
ramdisk_size parameter or the installation will break in weird ways.

initrd.img and vmlinuz are just copied form the bootnet floppy.
boot.msg is just a warning:

+====================================================+
|                                                    |
|  Now installing UH Mathematics Computing Lab node  |
|                                                    |
|  All data existing on this machine will be erased  |
|             Press enter to proceed                 |

Instructing the network card to try network before disks will result
in a machine being cleanly reinstalled.

VS> I guess what confuses me is the images/pxeboot directory on the
VS> rh72 cdrom.

I don't know what that is; I got a syslinux RPM and installed it to
get pxelinux.0.

 - J<