RE: Apply update disk to kickstart image.

Hi,

On your server you probably have an installation directory / distribution point which contains the contents of  the Red Hat CD-ROM, right? The contents of this directory are for example:

-          images

-          RedHat

-          - base

-          - RPMS

I refer to this directory as your distribution point

Now do the following:

  1. download the updated bootnet.img and update-disk-20020117.img from the Red Hat FTP server.
  2. in your distribution point directory create a new directory with the name "RHupdates" (note those two capitals...!)
  3. mount the update-disk-20020117.img file ("mount -o loop update-disk-20020117.img <mountpoint>") You need support for the loopback device for this to work
  4. copy the contents of the update-disk-20020117.img to the "RHupdates" directory.
  5. now make a new network boot disk with the new bootnet.img file ("dd if=bootnet.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k" should do it)
  6. Boot up your to-be-installed system with this new boot disk, it will automatically use the updated file in the RHupdates directory.
  7. It should work, I use this method myself....

Your new distribution point directory should now look like the following:

-          images

-          RedHat

-          - base

-          - RPMS

-          RHupdates

-          - anaconda

-          - autopart.py

-          - dispatch.py

-          - fdisk_gui.py

-          - kickstart.py

-          - language.py

If you are having trouble extracting the files from the update-disk-20020117.img I can send them to you if you want, but then you'll have to trust me on not having modified them...J

As I mentioned before, this should work - I am doing things this way myself.

Good luck,

Martijn Tigchelaar.