Re: update-disk and 7.2 installation

> Actually, there is a *much* easier way to do this.  On your NFS server
> that you are doing the install from, make a directory under the i386
> directory called "RHUpdates".  Then, loopback mount the update disk .img
> files and copy the contents (which should be some .py files) to the
> RHUpdates directory.  The installer should look in this directory for
> the newer files and use those.

Brent, to be sure what you mean (is it documented?), the modified
tree will then be:
   i386/RedHat
   i386/images
   i386/RHUpdates/anaconda
   i386/RHUpdates/autopart.py
   i386/RHUpdates/libparted.so
   i386/RHUpdates/...
Right? Or should I keep the structure in the rpms? Like this?
   i386/RHUpdates/usr/lib/anaconda/autopart.py
   i386/RHUpdates/usr/lib/libparted-1.4.so.14.1.1
Or anything else? Should it be in the i386/RedHat/base directory?

Would it mean that people have to type "ks updates" or "linux
updates" so that it takes effect? I hope not.
If this is the case, that would be very bad for lots of sites
already setup, documented, automated, etc.

> That way, the updates get applied for everyone doing installs from the
> NFS server, and you only have to deal with the updates once (on the
> server instead of the client).

And if the anaconda-7.2...rpm and parted-1.4...rpm, it would be done at
once for all. Even for people making iso images with uptodates rpms.
I realise I should do it myself and then share. But I am not an expert!
Now that all these installations phases are in rpms, which is
certainly much nicer, wouldn't it be simpler to include the installation
rpms in updates? That would keep the installation identical no matter
which patch is coming.

Isn't that right? If libparted had to be updated for installation,
doesn't that mean it should also be updated for the program parted?
Same for anaconda?

> Hope this helps,

Both answer gave some hints. Maybe I should have catch the rpms
in anaconda at the right time?
By the way, I never noticed that RedHat/base/netstg1.img and stage2.img
were accessed during installation. Are they? Is it not only
the rpms that are?

Sorry to insist on that but it could help many people if done properly,
IMHO. Or am I misunderstanding something?

				Anne
--
 Anne Possoz   Service Informatique Central Tel : (41/21) 693.22.49
Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, 1015 Lausanne (Switzerland)