Re: Building a stand alone install CD-ROM

r.allen@xxxxxx said:
> What I really need to do is build 1 single CD ROM that has all our packages
> and all our custom install stuff for distribution within our team.  My goal is
> to stick the CD in a box and automagicly get a fresh install of our latest
> "server distribution".

> Currently, I've got everything working exactly how I need it across NFS, but
> this will not work for may of our setups.

> The problem here is, I cannot find any information on converting my NFS
> environment into the CD ROM environment.   I know that my boot floppy goes in
> the first "bootable" location on the CDROM, but that is about it.   I'm just
> looking for some documentation.  I've been through the redhat manual, but
> can't find a thing.

I know someone else on this list is working on some detailed docs for
kickstart install, but here are the notes I made to make it work for me:

Create a top directory, e.g $HOME/cdrom

Copy the entire contents of both redhat CDs to this directory

Optionally remove README, RELEASE-NOTES, TRANS.TBL files

Do not remove .disc1-i386 or .disc2-i386

Remove any unwanted rpms from $HOME/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS

Add any updated rpms and be sure to remove the original. The build process will fail if there is more than one version of an rpm in this directory.

Add any 3rd party or locally built rpms

Edit $HOME/cdrom/RedHat/base/comps

Remove any references to rpms that you have removed. NB Do not change the
'Base' bundle - if you removed rpms included in this section then you will
need to put them back.

Add any custom bundle, e.g. call it 'Custom' Set it up,
for example as follows:

0 Custom {
    myrpm
    afreshrpm
    mp3server
}

The '0' tells the install program that this shouldn't be selected  by default'

Run

anaconda-runtime/genhdlist --withnumbers

If your RPMS directory doesn't contain all the files in your comps file, this
will fail. If it does, fix the problems and run it again Even if it succeeds
it doesn't check rpm dependencies, so you may end up installing software that
doesn't run. As long as you leavethe Base section alone you should end up with
a bootable system

Make sure that what you have will fit on a single cd

du -sm $HOME/cdrom

Then make an iso image and burn it.
-------

You can check the environment by starting a manual install from cd and
switching to VT2 when you get the first prompt. The mount points are

/mnt/sysimage  for your hard disk
/mnt/source    for your cd

Good luck.

Chris