upgrade via 7.x ks doesn't work..

I recently installed a 7.2 system (with ext3), and I now want to make use of
the upgrade capabilities of kickstart.  When I kickstart I get:

Error mounting device sda6 as /:
No such device

This most likely means this partition
has not been formatted.

Press OK to reboot your system.

This said; I _NEED_ to upgrade 7.2 based systems that our company receives
from another computer manufacturer; there is no way around this
requirement.  This being the case; in the kickstarted environment.. I can
mount /tmp/sda6 on /mnt/sysimage perfectly.. and can read files from that
root filesystem.  This is possible under both 7.1 and 7.2 kickstarted
environments; BUT both installers failed with the above error message.  As
another data point; I can boot via text mode off the same redhat 7.x
cdroms; and choose the 'upgrade' option; and it can access sda6
et. al. perfectly fine.

BTW, I could use my upgrade ks.cfg on 7.1 installed systems perfectly
fine; but now I'm seeing this problem on 7.2 installed systems...

any help would be greatly appreciated,

Mike