Re: need help for compaq dl360 with smart array .

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, pierre-yves.verdon wrote:

> below is my ks.cfg, i've try to do as in your mail but i can't manage to
> make it work.
> but i wonder how i could specify which mount point is for
> /dev/ida/c0d0p1 ?

It is up to you to define what filesystem (/, /usr, /home, etc.) is
mounted on which partition.  You define this in the ks.cfg preamble.

> i also don't have specified "part <mntpoint> --size <size>" because i've
> supposed that kickstart will try to do another fdisk, isn't it?

No, because you will have already partitioned the disk in %pre and you
don't tell ks.cfg to zero the partition table.

> well actually the kickstart installation stop after an output "loading
> module cpqarray" and then print "can not open device c0d0".
> if i switch to the console, the direcory /dev/ida and the device c0d0
> have been created, but if i  do "fdisk /dev/ida/c0d0" i get the same
> error "can not open device c0d0".
> if i do "lsmod" no cpqarray module have been loaded

Have you done a manual installation to verify that the name of your
device?  Is it really a cpqarray device?

> actually i don't have tried to change the kernel src.rpm as say daniel
> wittenberg
>

> the file ks.cfg:
>
> auth --enablemd5 --useshadow
> cdrom
> keyboard us
> lang en_US
> lilo --location mbr
>
> mouse genericps/2
> rootpw mypassword
> timezone MET
> %packages
> @ Base
> %pre
> mkdir /dev/ida
> mknod /dev/ida/c0d0 b 72 0
> chmod 660 /dev/ida/c0d0
> echo | fdisk /dev/ida/c0d0 <<EOF
> 1
>
> +256M
> 1
> 82
> 2

> EOF

It looks like you are making one 256MB partition (/dev/ida/c0d0p1) using
the default start cylinder and changing it to type LINUX SWAP.  You then
start to make a second partition.  Are you trying to make the second
partition start at the default location (end of /dev/ida/c0d0p1) and fill
the rest of the disk?

My tack was different.  I explicitly stated the start and end cylinders of
each partition.  I feel that is is important to ensure that everything
happens the way I want it to happen.  I got this information by first
doing a manual installation of the operating system, using fdisk to format
the disk.  I made sure to _not_ erase and/or overwrite the "Compaq
Diagnostics" partition (/dev/ida/c0d0p3, but the first ten cylinders of
the disk).

Carl G. Riches
Software Engineer
Department of Mathematics
Box 354350			voice:     206-543-5082 or 206-616-3636
University of Washington	fax:       206-543-0397
Seattle, WA  98195-4350		internet:  riches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx