Re: questions about splitdistro

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001 03:48:48 -0500 (EST)
"rpjday" <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   ok, on to splitdistro, and the same kind of trivial question:
> what do you have to set up first, how do you call it, and what is
> the eventual result?

Ugh... I barely remember this one.

You need to start with a single directory that has everything; exactly the
sort of setup you use for NFS installs in fact. You just run "./splitdistroy
/path/to/top i386" and you'll get disc[1-4] directories created which contain
the trees you can build iso images from. Hard links are used for nearly
everything, so it doesn't really take any extra space to do this.

There is one caveat to all of this, which is package ordering. It's really
quite important, and getting it right means you have to do things just so.
In particular:

	1) Run the pkgorder script, which will spit out a list of the
	   order packages need to be in for installs
	2) Add --fileorder <file> to splitdistro as well so things end
	   up on the right cds.
	3) Run genhdlist as:
		 /path/to/top/disc1 --fileorder <file> --withnumbers
			/path/to/top/disc1 /path/to/top/disc2

This is a bit strange, but it works around some oddities with RPM package
ordering. Hopefully I haven't missed anything <gulp>. This stuff tends to
change a bit between releases. The syntax for builddistro has been the same
since 6.2; this other stuff has changed a few times since then.

You asked how splitdistro makes sure disc1 is the right size? It keeps moving
things to disc2 until disc1 is small enough; there is no guarantee that disc2
will actually be small enough to fit on a CD!

>   anyone have a 10-line summary of splitdistro logistics they
> care to share?  how to prepare the directories for it, invocation

10 lines? /me rofl

Erik

| "Amazingly, there are significant numbers of 30-something women now who     |
|  want to learn how to box - something that most sensible American men gave  |
|  up years ago."                    - New York Times Magazine                |