Re: thoughts on kickstart

On 15 Nov 2001, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> For Red Hat Linux 7.2, you can also grab your kickstart config via
> HTTP.  This opens up the possibility of database backends to CGIs which
> hand out kickstart configs.

Awesome, *awesome* idea!  Managing different configs is second only to
managing boot floppies on my list'o'headaches.  :-)

Is this the same as the nfs option in that loader will try to grab a
DHCP address in order to get the ks.cfg file?  If so, is there any way
you can stop this behavior by giving it the netinfo to use?  The pump
code in loader seems to be having some issues with pxelinux for some
reason... never gets a DHCP response the first time through but will
pick it up when you run DHCP manually after it's fallen back into
interactive mode.

> > A documentation for package name replacements would be very helpfull,
> > as the packages that we select is none of the standard redhat category
> > but a mixture. And a clean documentation of differences in kickstart.
>
> Another thing to keep on the list of things to try to remember to do as
> we change things.

ISTR that a RH employee posted a nifty python script to highlight the
differences between two distributions (msw?) back in the 6.1 or 6.2
days.  Failing that, I've got a hackish perl script to try and give
you a summary of differences between two pools of RPMs at
http://spoonix.com/comp_dists.pl

Take care,

--
Kelley Spoon                                        Main: 210-892-4000
Rackspace Managed Hosting                            Fax: 210-892-4329