Re: Working as User other than Root in %post

Rebecca.R.Hepper@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> In the %post section, I add a user called 'jason' then I copy over some
> *.tgz files from the NFS server.  The owner and group for those files is
> root.  If I change the owner/group to 'jason' and untar the files into
> /home/jason, all the files are owned by jason but the directories created
> are owned by root.  I suppose this is because I untar them as root.  I need
> those directories to belong to jason.  I could do a chmod on the
> directories but I was hoping there was a different answer.  My question
> is......is there a way to 'login' as jason and untar the files in the %post
> section?
>
> Thanks!
> Rebecca

hi,

  on a different machine, build you /home/jason directory with all of
the files. make sure that the ownership is correct,
then "tar cfz jason.tgz /home/jason"
in kickstart, untar the file and all of the permissions should hold.
unless you're upgrading, the system probably doesn't know who the user
"jason" is, but tar preserves the owner when run as root, so long as the
uid/gid are the same.

man tar, look at the -s and --same-owner options

Sincerely,
Jason Edgecombe